Many seniors are now choosing to "age in place" -- to live independently in their own homes for as long as possible without having to move to retirement communities or nursing homes. This practice is certainly feasible, however, there is a growing concern of risks in the homes. According to the Centers of Disease Control, "Each year, one in every three adults age 65 and older falls [and these] falls can cause moderate to severe injuries, such as hip fractures and head traumas, and can increase the risk of early death." Source: http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/adultfalls.html.
To help prevent these falls, home modifications are often suggested, and even sometimes required. The following are some commonly-recommended modifications that Homewood Handyman can assist you with:
- Move furniture to create clear walking paths
- Replace door knobs with lever door handles
- Fasten down rugs to prevent slipping
- Apply non-slip tape on steps
- Replace standard light switches with rocker-panel style switches
- Repair or replace loose handrails
- Install wheelchair and/or scooter ramps
- Install adequate lighting throughout the house
- Increase the width of doorways to accommodate wheelchairs, scooters, and/or walkers
- Install grab bars for toilets, showers, and/or tubs.
- Install a walk-in tub and/or tub seat
- Add hand railing for stairs and/or steps
Of course, countless other modifications exist and Homewood Handyman can help you determine your needs. We provide comprehensive in-home evaluations and have a "no-scam" policy when it comes to costs of goods and labor. Wanting to prevent others from ripping off the elderly is one of the reasons why we started this business. As such, you can guarantee you will be getting the best deal for all of your senior needs. Simply fill out the form to you right or give us a call .